- 1 lb ground turkey
- ½ cup small diced onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp.grated parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground pepper
- 8 oz. cooked, seasoned spinach
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese or as needed
- 28 oz. diced tomatoes drained of juice
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ cup minced onion
- 1 tsp. Italian herbs
- 2 leaves fresh basil, shredded
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In saucepan, sauté ½ cup diced onion, 1 clove minced garlic in 1 tbsp. olive oil until tender. Scrape into a large bowl. Add the ground turkey, breadcrumbs, 1 egg, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Mix together until all comes together.
- Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, pack it full of the turkey mixture. Dump it out, and while holding it in one hand, flatten to a disk that is about ¼” thick.
- In the center of the disk, put 1 tsp. grated mozzarella cheese, and 1 tbsp. cooked spinach.
- Carefully fold up meat, and shape into a ball, keeping the cheese and spinach in the middle. Repeat until all meat, mozzarella, and spinach has been used.
- In the bottom of a 9X12 pan combine drained tomatoes, 2 clove minced garlic, ½ cup minced onions, Italian herbs and fresh basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the meatballs on the tomatoes, spreading them as far apart as possible.
- Roast for approximately 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the meatball is at least 165ºF.
Yields approximately 12 large stuffed meatballs and 3 cups of roasted tomatoes
©2020 Chef Jennifer M. Denlinger www.FloridaChef.net