- 1 large eggplant, washed, skin on
- vegetable oil
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 oz. soft goat cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 minced onions
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 28 oz. tomatoes, no skin,
no seeds and any juice from them
- 10-12 basil leaves, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley or basil for garnish
- Preheat grill to high. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice eggplant lengthwise into thin strips, between 1/8 and ¼” thick. Brush both sides with vegetable oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill on both sides, until the eggplant is tender.
- Mix together the cheeses, egg, salt, pepper, thyme and minced garlic.
- Lay out the eggplant, distribute the cheese mixture between the eggplant slices and spread thin. Roll up starting with the skinny side. Put seam side down in a baking dish. Bake until cheese is bubbly and heated through, approximately 15 minutes.
- In a 2qt. saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onions and garlic. Sauté over medium heat until tender and fragrant. Add the tomatoes and any juice collected. Add minced basil leaves and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer sauce for approximately 10 minutes or until desired taste and consistency. If desired, crush or purée sauce to make it smoother.
Yields approximately 10-12 rolls, depending on size of eggplant, and 1 quart of sauce
©2020 Chef Jennifer M. Denlinger www.FloridaChef.net